Hello, everyone, and Happy New Year 2009!
I hope that each of you enjoyed a great 2008 and are looking forward to the excitements and challenges that 2009 is sure to bring. December 2008 was a busy month for me, and the first week of January has begun in overdrive mode. I feel blessed to have a job right now, so I'm not complaining about a busy workload.
Just this evening, I realized that we're actually less than one year away from the conclusion of the first decade of the 2000s. It's amazing how time flies. I can remember all of the craziness surrounding Y2K in the technology arena, and now all of that frenetic concern is just a memory to me.
One of my personal goals this year, the final year of the first decade of the 21st century, is to move forward and keep my focus ahead. I want to try things that I've never tried before. In that spirit, last night I achieved my first 2009 "first." Though I've been an active member of the Junior League of Raleigh for 10 years now, I've never volunteered with the League at the NC Inaugural Ball. Last night, January 9, 2009, I changed that fact. Last night, I volunteered at the NC Inaugural Ball last night and enjoyed the fun. It was a historic night, because of Bev Purdue's recent election as the first female governor of our state. I was glad to be a part of the evening festivities and had fun seeing everyone "decked out" in formal attire. One of my favorite parts of the evening was enjoying barbeque and coleslaw while drinking a cocktail. I commented to another attendee that I was "pigging out" and that I couldn't believe that I was actually eating barbeque and coleslaw at a U.S. governor's Inaugural Ball. I stated: "only in NC," and the other party replied, "there's no better place to be." And, I'd have to agree...attached is a picture of me "dolled up" for the Ball.
I wish all of you a year of "firsts"!.....Ruth
No comments:
Post a Comment